From:
Gail and Terry Kull <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 24 Jan 1997 00:06:14 -0800
Hello ferret lovers

If you havn't heard of us before, were Terry and Gail, in Fresno CA.

Our little Charlie (actually Charlene) was turned IN to the Fish and Game
wardens by a disgruntled ex-spouse.  His reasons were stupid, childish and
insidious.  "I don't want that thing biting the fingers of my Grandson"

                           "Jerk"

Well, enough of that. God will pay him back.

Well, heres our story.  Charlie was turned over from F&G to the rescue squad
here "Mary", and we were informed of our rights (none)!  We had the option
of finding a home out of the state, or she would be sent away.  Fortunately
not euthanized as used to be the standard method.  We tried to come up with
a suitable temporary home for our girl but were unsucessful for nearly a
month.  In the meantime, the rescue lady was falling in love with our girl.
She offered to have a friend of hers take Charlie to Reno, NV.  We thought
that was a great idea.  "No", she said..she was going to 'take' charlie.
Not to hold her, but to keep her.  "NO" we said.  We were going to the
desert after the 4th of July weekend, so we were going to ship charlie to
Las Vegas, and then go across the border to visit her, Of course, we were
NOT going to bring her back here, that would be wrong.  Well, the weekend of
the fourth, "Mary" called to say she was going to go out of town.  For those
of you who don't know Fresno, the average high temp in July, August and
September hovers around 105 to 110.  So, "Mary" was going to leave Charlie
at her place of employment over the weekend, as it was a safe place, with a
air conditioner running all weekend.  Come to find out she works for a
veterinarian.  Now Charlie had free rein in our house, and was a practical
joker,, always playing hide and seek with our two dogs, "pookie" a yorkshire
terrier, and "sparky" the wonder dog, a terrier cocker mix.  Well, while in
captivity in a rabbit cage at the vets, Charlie managed to 'escape' (shes a
FERRET, for Gods Sake!) as she was wandering the confines of her new 'home',
she saw and met many new animals.  And after playing so well with our two
dogs, how was she to know that the German Shepherd (a LEGAL pet) wouldn't
play the same way her other two dog friends at home would.  We never got to
see our girl again.  She died in the jaws of a legal pet.  We got a sympathy
card from "Mary" big whoop!  We would like to take her favorite, innocent ,
helpless pet for the weekend and feed it to a PIT BULL, then see how she
feels about it.  Yes, we are still bitter.  Yes, we still hurt.  Yes, we are
involved in letter writing for the legalization of ferrets in California.

At our recent first organizational meeting of Ferrets Anon. we got to meet
with "The Crank" Pat Wright.  Folks, give this man your supprot, either
Moral, financial, or prayerful.  He remembered us fondly and our situation
with Charlie.  We pass this story on , not for the sensationalism, but to
get you MAD.  To get you , wherever you are, to get involved.  We need your
help in California, a state with over 500,000 illegal ferrets.  pleas HELP.
Write letters, send moral and or/ financial support.  Please,,, just help..
or just Pray.  It won't bring our girl back, but it will allow us to once
again (eventually) have another lovely Fuzzie in our home.  For those of you
who live in "Legal" states, you don't know how lucky you are.  People here
live in constant fear of the Fish and Game wardens showing up at your door,
taking away a member of the family, and facing possible criminal charges and
fines.

Thanks for "Listening"

Terry and Gail