From:
Date:
Wed, 26 Jun 1996 11:41:04 -0700
>From:    Dave Les <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: Rabies - Risk Assessment vs Quarantine
>1.  RISK ASSESSMENT.  Mr. (sorry I can't bring myself to call him Dr.)
>Johnson stated: "Rabies consultations are always based on an assessment of
>risk." If this were true, we would have little to be concerned with...

Unfortunately being rude to Dr. Johnson is the type of thing that is giving
ferret owners and thus ferrets a bad reputation.  Dr. Johnson earned his
title whether we agree with everything he says or not.

I have heard talk of rabies being passed in skunks from one generation to
another.  I find this hard to believe though my source is usually highly
reliable.  If this is true than I can see why folks are hesitant to trust
ferrets not exposed to rabies since a cousin animal can get rabies with no
direct exposure.  This story true or false is probably the reason ferrets
are assumed to be born with rabies "like all polecats".  Again a confusion
that Ferrets being polecats are related to what we call polecats in this
country.  Maybe our friend Jeff Johnston has a comment on this since we're
in his area.

>Please do not take this as any type of flame.  I asked for comments and I
>got them.  I only request that you act based upon knowledge instead of
>emotion.

Be very careful to follow your own very good advice.  Your information is
right on accurate (or at least gives completely with mine) but you have to
see how all aspects relate.  This is an area I get myself in trouble as well
so please inderstand I do not mean this to be a personal attack.  Little
things that would put someone on the defensive play against a good cause.

>From:    Norma-ann Mooney <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: Ontario Ferrets *BEWARE*
>The Doctor said that since Imrab is approved for use in ferrets, but has
>not been tested (is that right???), the vaccine will most probably not be
>enough to keep your ferret from being killed if s/he bites someone..

I thought approval from the USDA comes only after testing.  How this affects
Canadian testing or approval I can't say.

>I told him that PIJAC said that ferrets were the 3rd most popular pet in
>the U.S. and he said they will not believe those numbers--he doesn't.

I believe ferrets are the 3rd most popular pet carnivore.  There are an
awful lot of mice, rabbits, birds, etc.

>From:    Wendy C Bollinger <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: Re: food digging, corn cob litter
>Phillip-- I have heard stories of the corn cob working its way up into the
>rectum of fuzzies and expanding...

I've heard the stories about the corn cob but not directly.  What I've been
told about the pelleted pine vs.  shavings regarding the oils is that oils
are actually added to the shavings to make them "smell" better.  Smelling
the pine is breathing in the oils.  You don't really smell the pellets much
so you aren't breathing in nearly as much.  Its also a exposed surface area
mathematical thing.

bill killian
mailto:[log in to unmask]
mailto:[log in to unmask]