From:
Mark Zmyewski <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 10 Jul 1995 12:03:13 CDT
Hi all,

    Sean ("[log in to unmask]") mentioned that Ferris doesn't like to be held.
Well, Snookie doesn't either, so don't feel bad, Sean.  :-) Snookie really
only tolerates being held when she is very tired or has just gotten up from
a nap.  Sometimes this bothers me because I'd like to hold her for a while,
but "c'est la vie".  To answer your question about whether it's a
personality trait, I think all ferrets have very individual personalities,
some of which just don't like to be held/cuddled.

    Since I'm still a new "father" (only about 3 months now....Snookie,
however is 1.5 years old) I still look for tips on how to make her (as well
as mine and Guy's) life easier.  I read (either here or in a book, I don't
remember) about using the "scruffing" method when it comes to nail clipping
time.  Well, we tried it this weekend...it just happened to also be when
Snookie had just gotten up from a nap...but it worked *beautifully*!!  I
was very happy.  Usually, Snookie will turn into what I've dubbed "liquid
ferret" when you try to clip her nails...turning, writhing, slithering,
just to get away.  I've always known that they could get into small places,
but never realized that they can get out of almost any hold or grip you've
got on them when trying to bathe them and/or clip their nails!  Thank you
(whoever it was!) for the suggestion!

-Mark Zmyewski (and Snookie who, as I just found out a few days ago, has
"stored" seven paper cups and a yogurt container under my bed!)