From:
Gordon Bengtson CI-ASMEL <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 31 Jan 2006 16:26:22 -0500
All too often some of the victims of second hand smoke are more than the
people around us but also our pets.  I have rescue ferrets here and have
noticed they have been in a smoking environment where they are struggling
with nicotine withdrawal syndromes.

I noticed RePete running for the ditch on the road side and found it a
struggle to keep an eye on him when he did that.  It took me quite a
while to find out why he was doing that, he was struggling to find the
last of discarded cigarettes!  His nicotine addiction had a strong grip
on him.

This took me months to help him kick that habit, the patched did no good
where he would lick them off and they didn't stick well to the fur
anyway.  Of course he would not chew that habit breaking gum so I was
at a loss.

But then recently I saw him walking by slowly.  Not the usual for a
ferret.  Then I noticed he had blood shot eyes and the beginning of
a s)$) eating grin.  But when he went for the J-feeder and cleaned out
3 days worth of kibble I knew he had taken that horrid next step, it was
weed!  RePete was hooked on weed!  Those dandy lions all dried up in the
lawn had him by a very firm grip.

I now have him enrolled in a dry out school for ferrets.  He gets the
shakes allot but I can see he is happier and realizes how deep into it
he was.  He wants to get better and I will encourage him with belly rubs
and lots of hugs.  He likes that.  Ya can't help but love a ferret !

Aarrow Ranch Aviation
Rev. J Gordon Bengtson
7302 Hunterbrook Drive, Suite 100
Mechanicsville, Va. 23111