Date:
Sun, 27 Apr 2008 20:35:42 EDT
So many kind and caring people are writing to help with Buffy, the
perpetual biter. I want to share a theory about deaf female ferrets
that seems to make a lot of sense that I received from someone who
breeds ferrets.

Kathy's Theory:

I hope I am doing this right. If Kathy corrects me, I will write that
correction on the FML. Or she can do so herself.

Simply put, a deaf ferret does not wake up when she hears the others
feeding when she is a baby. She misses out. The other ferrets are on
the teats, and now this little deaf female is going to weaken and die.

To survive, she may bite the other babies out of the way. And maybe she
bites mom to get her milk. She associates biting with getting what she
needs.

She gets sold way too early at a pet store. She has been biting for
what she needs. She continues doing so. Home she goes to a family who
does not even know she is deaf. She runs up to them for attention and
bites them on the ankle. They react instantly in fear, pain, and
surprise. They kick her.

She rushes back in anger. She is kicked again. And maybe again and
again.

She goes back to the store filled with fury now. And the next family
finds this terrible biter. And on it goes.

The second part of the theory: ONE of the reasons the ferret keeps
coming back to the person who is NOT hurting her *is for attention.*
She needs attention.

So if she is picked up and given positive attention for some time
before she can bite, the instant bite reaction may be broken. And the
human is associated eventually with warmth, and soft touches, treats,
and consistency...safety.

I think this is one possible explanation for female deaf biters. They
are smaller than the males, yet need moms milk. They are late on the
scene. They are starving. They bite for survival. A habit is formed.

Buffy is now occasionally thinking about whether she is going to attack
me or not. It is not an instant thing each and every time in this short
period of time. There was another time today she walked away from me
though she saw me. That makes 4 times.

I do not ever just pick her up yet. I pick her up when she is after me
and give her genteness, then softly put her down. We might do this
dozens of times in a row. I might put her in a time out in a small
carrier for 10 minutes, then feed her treats with my finger nails
through the bars. She feels more relaxed if another ferret comes in
with her. She has actually come to enjoy this for a good 20 miinutes.
Then I let her out...and run like heck. LOL

For the moment I am not judging her. I am not correcting her yet. I am
just showing her she is in a safe place and she is in control. She has
chewed the tar out of 3 pair of shoes. But her desire to tear them
apart has already lessened. I did not see her carrying any off today
to shake them to death.

I think we are moving in a positive direction already. I may be wrong.
This will be a slow process. Time will tell. But Kathy's Theory has
played a big part in how I see Buffy when she charges me. A part of
this insane dangerous animal charging after me in rage and habit needs
attention and affection and security.

I like this theory for Buffy and me. We seem to be making amazing
headway using this premise.

Thank you Kathy.

Lisette