From:
sukie crandall <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 14 Feb 2004 16:19:31 -0500
Well, MF ferrets come only from a farm in the NY State in the U.S. so
those ferrets from New Zealand aren't their's.  It's been years since
I have heard of a U.S. distributor bringing in pet store stock from NZ,
and had not heard that was happening in Europe.

MFs have blue ear dots, Hagans have an "H" or something approximating it,
Triple Fs have a pink dot, PVs have no markings.  Each and every one of
those has at times been sold as being from a different source as have
private ferrets due to confusion at distributors or pet stores.

Some use different approaches for international markets depending on
the laws of those nations and if those places are currently selling to
those nations.

To learn an approximation of where your ferrets come from ask the pet
stores, and if they don't know then ask the pet stores how to contact
their distributors.  You can also find the websites of the farms which
have those on line and ask them some of your specific questions using
their "contact us" buttons.

Sherman had a Lupron shot today and we will be continuing to try to get
his abdominal fat levels down so that he is safe enough for his right
adrenal to come out.  Meanwhile, he's having some blood testing done.  He
is obviously adrenal now and I am the object of his desire.  His steroids
for IBD have removed some fur, too, and they got him fat.

The ferrets have learned to be careful of my braces and they are usually
very gentle around my ankles and feet -- giving many gentle nose bumps to
help me out.  It is incredibly, marvelously sweet!  I tell them that they
are making mommy fix.  They are not chewing on my cane, either.  My fears
that they might get hurt haven't panned out, which is wonderful.  (I
probably will have have more tests ahead since I still have some ataxia
and we seem to be narrowed down to two possible causes, alone or
together: the damage from by bilateral z-skew clubfeet having just given
out after years of use, or MS, or the two together.  It caused quite a
spate of hilarious laughter a few days ago; we were in a bookstore and
a tiny boy -- I guess maybe 2 or 3 years old -- thought that the way I
sway on my feet is neat and he was trying so hard to copy me.  It was
truly hilarious.  Everyone is our section of the line was belly-laughing.
Now, if only a few more young able-bodied adults thought about giving up
their seats when a person with a cane and pain enters a room, and if
people walking wouldn't cut me off when I am walking (since stopping
short is painful), and if people in cars wouldn't play chicken with me at
crosswalks!  Bravo to the police officer at Short Hills Mall who saw that
and went after a jerk.  Sadly, ferrets are much more considerate than a
few too many people are but I guess people will learn if they just have
the opportunity to take more lessons from ferrets.)  Now, if I could
only get the ferrets to be safe around my weights and other exercise
equipment, but I have to just barricade them in a different room.

Sensitivity to cedar is across the board; it is hazardous for ferrets.
Sensitivity to pine among ferrets is like it is for humans: more of an
individual thing with some ferrets being allergic.  Note that this is
at times a very serious allergy.  I know of a vet who has a ferret who
goes into a life-threatening crisis is just minutes of exposure.  We've
never had one of our own who reacted, but it is important to know that
such reactions can happen and that they can be dangerous.  Here is a
compilation study for you: http://www.trifl.org/cedar.shtml (Had been
http://www.trifl.org/cedar.html )