From:
Karen McCabe <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 29 Jun 2003 16:44:23 -0400

>From:    Dr Deb Sell <[log in to unmask]>
>
>Has anyone used it and if so what were your results?  I found it on
>www.newrainbowbridge.com and have just started it on my post-surgery
>insulinoma boy.  So far his sugar is steady at 107...but I want to
>hear what others have to say....

I tried Devil's Club with my boy Reuben.  He was estimated at 7-8+ years
old, and obviously Insulinomic, when I adopted him.  Due to his age and
poor condition, my vet and I opted for meds over surgery.  After close to
three months on Dexamethasone glucose levels were still dangerously low
(30's to low 40's).  With my vets approval I began giving Devil's Club.
5 days after, Reuben's glucose rose to 69.  Over the next several months
readings varied between 55 and 95, with most readings averaging between
68 to 75.  At this point Reuben began experiencing painful urination.  My
vet suggested decreasing and/or stopping the Devil's Club, as he thought
it might be the cause.  When I stopped, Reuben's glucose dropped back
into the low 40's, though he was still experiencing painful urination
(the DC was not the cause).  I resumed the Devil's Club and levels again
rose.  Soon after, Reuben was found to be Adrenal as well (the cause of
the painful urination).  At this point we opted for surgery and sadly
lost my boy (surgery went well, though Reuben did not wake up
afterwards).

To sum up my experience, while I couldn't swear by it, I do believe the
Devil's Club, in combination with the Dex, was helpful.

--
Karen McCabe
http://www.animalsoup.net