Date:
Sat, 17 Jul 1999 13:18:40 +0100
I have been following the sad saga of the ferret and child tragedy in
Ontario.  I would just say that there is a lot of ignorance about ferrets
and perhaps it is up to us to change the public's views.

Certainly the Ferret Rescue Trust NE. in Northumberland is trying to do
this.  Jane Bewlay is running courses for children and adults and visits
schools to give talks and takes fuzzies with her.

However, with my ferret Warhol winning the World's fastest ferret, we have
had some very ignorant publicity with media making up their own stories and
although a couple were accurate, some of them just made ferret - keeping a
joke.  The press agency has made a lot of money from photographs and the
Rescue Trust has not received a penny.  Jane is desperate to raise money
for more accommodation and food and so we have decided to become mercenary?
If the press want some information then they will have to give a donation
to the Rescue Trust.

Neither was there a mention of the ferret who won the North East
Championships, a yearly competition.

Jacqui.

See my fuzzies on the animals page at.
http://cus.umist.ac.uk/~selkie