From:
Roger Vaughn <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 8 Jan 2002 10:10:40 -0500
>>I didn't get up the courage to confront the manager.
>
>So what has been accomplished!!  The ferret is still in the pet store,
>living in an aquarium.  The pet store owner will continue to take in
>older ferrets, with no history of vaccinations, etc.  and keep them in
>conditions totally unsuitable for any animal.  And, the cycle will be
>perpetuated.
>
>Why not confront the store manager or owner?  You don't have to do it
>in the form of a confrontation, but rather as a discussion.  If you feel
>that the manager or owner has no desire to better the conditions for the
>ferret, go to the authorities.  You have local animal control officers,
>the Dept. of Public Health, state authorities, etc., etc., etc.

Hi Phyllis.

As I posted yesterday (two days ago by the time you read this), I *did*
report the store to Florida Fish and Wildlife, who police the statutes
relating to this.  They promised to investigate.  If I don't get action
that way, I will try the ASPCA next.  Other locals have also hinted that
they will help drown the store in complaints if it becomes necessary.

F&W allows people filing reports to remain anonymous.  I chose not to do
so, and gladly gave them my name and phone number.

Perhaps the neighborly thing to do would have been to talk to the manager
first.  I will admit that.  However, I did not do so because I *knew* just
how productive it would be, in other words, none.  It is obvious from the
look of this place that they are simply interested in profit, not the
welfare of the animals.  They don't seem to be intentionally mistreating
the animals, but I doubt they receive much more than food and water from
the time they enter the store until they are sold.

Now, as it happens, *I* can still enter the store to check on their
progress!  That's valuable to me as I can *personally* follow up on this.
I would be happy to take in any ferrets displaced by this - even if I
have to pay for them.  I simply did not buy the ferret at the time
because, as has been said before, it would only encourage them to get
more.

Not all of us are activists, and not all of us use the same methods.  But
I *am* taking action.

Roger
Digger and Bear