From:
Laura Palmer - The Company of Ferrets <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 3 Jul 2006 12:20:16 -0400

>From:    Olivia Brett <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: Male with adrenal problems
>I have a 4year old male ferret named Rascal.  I call him my mutt ferret
>because I think he thinks he is a dog or cat.  Anyway, this morning he
>kept trying to use his litter but nothing.  Off to the vet we go.  His
>prostate is enlarged and blocked the bladder.  His left adrenal was
>removed 1 1/2 years ago.  His fur has just grown back in March!...hey

I have a male ferret, Max, with adrenal problems.  He's about 6 years old
and has had a couple of melatonin implants this past year.  He doesn't
get the hair regrowth, like others, but I hope it helps minimize his
other symptoms.  We have had good luck with implants in a lot of other
ferrets in our shelter.

We also have Max on a medication called Finasteride Susp (Propecia).
He has been on it for almost a year, now.  He seems to be doing well.
The compounding pharmacy our vet gets it from is Preckshot Pharmacy in
Peoria, IL -- phone number is (sorry don't have area code) 639-3880.  The
label states: #60 Comp Finasteride Susp (raspberry flavor).  He gets 0.10
ml every morning before his chicken gravy, he likes the flavor and takes
it willingly.  It starts with a larger dose for a month, can't remember
what it was.  Then, it's the smaller dose of 0.10ml every day, forever.
The bottle costs about $50, but lasts a long time.

Good luck,
Liz
...in the Company of Ferrets, Inc.
www.ferretasylum.com