From:
"Barbara Clay, Rocky's Ferret Rescue" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 19 Nov 2004 00:19:31 -0500
To the best of my knowledge, no rescue, such as Hagerstown, has ever been
chronicalled for life.  Rocky's is doing just that.

With the cooperation of Jane and Craig Bradley, we are documenting the
entire life study of every ferret from Hagerstown.  Included in the
history is every step, in their care.  It's also a financial impact
study.  At this time Rocky's is considering our options of a civil suit
against Diana Bachman.  At such a trial, testimony would be allowed,
which was never heard in the criminal prosecution.  If we decide to move
forward, IF we are successful, it is already the decision of Rocky's
Board of Directors that any financial settlement, fifty percent of it
be given to the University of Georgia for Aleutian's Disease Research.

With this rescue, it became apparent to me in the first couple weeks
that these ferrets were fragile.  I opted to not re-home them to other
shelters because of the stress factor being lethal.  We had ferrets dying
with simple sexual altering.  Hearts stopped in what appeared to be
perfectly healthy ferrets on the outside.  The sadness at Rocky's was
overwhelming with these deaths.  These very kids, the volunteers had the
day before played in the grass and got them to dook and dance.  Yep, they
had to be taught to be ferrets.  Then there was Duke, fostered by Lynn
Love.  His demise beat out all the best of medical care, it was simply
his history that took this beautiful, loving boy down.

I continued to interview applications and do direct re-homing.  These
applications had to meet strict requirements, including documentation of
all animals in the household being current on vacs, and ferrets being
documented with ADV testing.  Here's a wonderful moment in this rescue.

So many applied for adoption.  So many homes had never tested for ADV.
These homes now tested, and they now knew, for the first time, their ADV
status.  Negative, knowledgeable homes were approved.  Yes there were
difficulties.  There were homes where I had adopted before, and their
word was good that they were negative, but now, were now asked to produce
documentation.  Much to my dismay, some previously adopted "on their
word", couldn't produce documentation.  It really changed my personal
perspective on folks I trusted and associated with.  So you don't test,
no big deal, get on board... and all did that were sincerely a part of
being the solution to this rescue.  This rescue, across the country with
adoptions, heightened the awareness and testing of ADV.

It's hard to imagine from such a horrendous rescue that there could be
something good to come out of this.  But there is.  These kids found
wonderful homes, and each one closely screened.  The homes that adopted
are a ferret community unto themselves; a shared brutal origin, now
nurtured and loved.

Further, this is kinda funny.  I've been a shelter for almost nine years.
Me and the volunteers have sold pizza kits, candy, and I donated my
retirement pension for this shelter, but never had I ever asked for
anything from the ferret community.  Many of you had never even heard of
my shelter before Hagerstown hit.  We have been self-sufficient all
these years.  I gotta laugh, someone recently referred to me as "Beggin
Barb".  Nope.  Anyone in the ferret community knows that myself and the
volunteers always worked our needs, and never blatantly asked for a
hand-out.  I did ask for a hand-out, on the very eve that Kim Sikoski and
I went into that garage.  That was a first an only, and hope never again.
To have not asked, would have been an additional crime.  These kids got
what they needed as a direct result of donations and fundraising done by
Rocky's itself.

I received enough bedding to keep these filthy, scrubbed, still filthy,
kids in clean cages.  I would now like to offer to any shelter that
distemper vacs and ADV documented tests their ferrets, some slightly used
bedding.  I hope this doesn't offend anyone that rallied to the cause and
sent us bedding.  We were blessed during this crisis, and I would like to
share with those that may be struggling today.  Share the love, keep the
it going to where it's needed.  Please contact me if you need anything.

Here's another cool thing.  Rocky's became very visible.  There has
hardly been a day since July 25, 2003 that someone hasn't come by to
visit, or place an adoption application.  During this entire year, we
continued to support all the kill facilities, and personal homes, of
Maryland in taking in surrenders.  To say it's been a busy year, is an
understatement.  Our adoptions for all ages and conditions are happening.
All the wonderful visitors that have come to Rocky's each day, this year,
we're glad you did, and look forward to your return.

From me to my Board of Directors, Denise Kamarunas - President,
Kim Sikoski - Vice President, Barry Edwards - Secretary,
Michelle Butler - Treasurer, and for the past year, diligent volunteers
Lynn Love and Sean Steelman....... You guys are the best of the best!
You helped to make sure all furkids here were taken care of, and most of
all, you all were the quiet machine that helped to convict Diana Bachman.

Affectionately,
Barb Clay
www.rockysferrets.com