From:
Debbie Liddicoat <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 10 May 2002 18:43:10 EDT
First, I want to thank everyone who answered my cries for help!  I
received some of the most wonderful e-mail!

To briefly recap - our ferret, Veil is exhibiting symptoms of ECE plus
hairloss.  Nothing major at this point, but enough to make me take note.
Our first visit to the vet resulted in a diagnosis of ECE with a
prescription of Clavamox.  She said she didn't exhibit enough signs of
Adrenal disease to be able to make a diagnosis comfortably.  We waited
out the prescription with no visible signs of improvement.

We took her back today and she did a fecal test which has to be sent
away.  Results should be back in about 5 days.  She still says she's not
convinced she has Adrenal disease, but is hoping the hairloss is secondary
to whatever else ails her.  Her new prescription is for Enrofloxacin (it
gets mixed with yogurt).  She says it covers a few more bacterial things
that the Clavamox.  She also suggested some heavy cream, continue with
the baby food (combined with some oatmeal, which someone suggested, thank
you very much!).

Her biggest advice was to not panic.  She said Veil appears to be
extremely healthy (with the exception of ECE and some hairloss).  Veil
continues to play hard, eats well and drinks alot.  Plus she's adorable
and these are all good signs.

OK, now for the questions.  If in fact, she does have ECE, which seems
logical since she's got the kind of slimy birdseedy poop, how long does
it take to go away.  Will I ever see normal poop again?  Never thought
I'd spend so much time examining ferret poop as I do now.  Has anybody
ever used Benedryl before?  I'm concerned about making her overly sleepy.
I've given my children Benedryl when they were infants and they slept alot
more.  The doc says it doesn't have the same effect on ferrets however.

Sorry for going on for so long...I do appreciate all your opinions, as did
the vet.  I printed out all of them and took them along to the appointment
today.  She kept saying "wonderful, wonderful!"

Veil and I thank you for all your help.

Debbie