From:
Todd Leuthold <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 1 Dec 1999 01:03:04 -0500

I have to agree with Ed.  One of my ferrets refuses to drink from a
stationary water bottle.  If you hold the bottle, he will drink from it.
Otherwise, it needs to be a large bowl.

He will approach the bowl and wiggle his snout excitedly.  He does indeed
"brush" his whiskers across the surface of the water, as though he can't
tell where the top is (the "water bowl" is actually a glass casserole
dish--used so that he can't tip it over during episodes of excessive
excitement).  He also dips the tip of his nose into the water, as though
the information from his whiskers isn't quite good enough.  Lastly, he puts
one paw in the dish and "scratches" the water several times.  I always
assumed he was just making sure it really was water and not just something
that was wet with a solid surface underneath.  Once convinced that it's
really a bowl of water, then he sticks his lower jaw into the water and
does the in-and-out thing with his tongue until he's finished.  Hey...it
works for him.  That's what matters!  BTW, he is not blind.

As for the numbers of whiskers...well...I don't have an adequate anesthetic
to keep them from wiggling their whiskers while I'm trying to count them.
They number somewhere between 6 and 74...but I wouldn't quote me on that if
I were you.

Todd and the (*YOU* have more whiskers than *we* do!) Fuzzbutt Rodeo Clowns!

---
mailto:[log in to unmask]
http://users.success.net/toddl/