From:
Troy Lynn Eckart <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 13 Nov 1996 14:57:33 -0600
Mugsy is still very sick.  He goes back to the vet tomorrow night for the
3rd time and this time I will ask them to take chest x-rays.  I either need
to know what it is or what it isn't.  This is the 4th ferret to come down
with whatever it is.  But they never took x-rays.  It takes weeks to get
them through this and Mugsy is the worst case so far.  Still a temp (not as
high though) and rapid respiration and a gaspy airy sound when we feed him.
Monday night we ran another blood test - Lymphocytes 50%, Mono 1%, Eos 4%,
Baso 26%, HCT 47.8, HGB 14.3, MCHC 29.9, WBC 8.6x10(9)/L

I pulled out my dog books last night and read up on pneumonia.  Symptoms are
rapid respiration, lethargy, fever, green or yellow discharge from nose or
eyes (Mugsy's discharge is clear).  He has all but the colored discharge.
Treatment is humidifier to make breathing easier, antibiotics (he's been on
antibiotics for 14 days), Pedialyte, and keeping them warm.  It also said
you have to know if it is bacterial, viral, fungal or parasitic to know
which antibiotic to treat it.  We are on our second antibiotic now.

Does this illness sound familiar to anyone?  Does anyone know what the
symptoms of pneumonia are in ferrets?  Any ideas?????

Condolences to all who have lost their loved ones.  One of our Fredonia
rescues died this afternoon as Jan was taking him to the vet.  He suffered a
seizure and died.  We were all touched deeply by these little ones and this
is a very sad day for all of us....

Hugs to all. tle