From:
Silly Girl <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 11 Sep 2002 01:30:45 -0700
To whoever this applies to,

I had a ferret who died and miss him a lot still, so I know how many of
you feel, but don't you think it's going just a little far to talk about
the rainbow bridge and talk as if they were your children?  I have a
child and I have pets that are like a part of the family, but it is still
not the same thing as an actual child.  Nor could a ferret ever replace a
child.  I think some people are a little fanatical on this board if you
don't mind me saying so.

When I joined this email list I thought it was to just get information
about health issues with ferrets and also to adopt ferrets out that need
homes and so forth, but so many people are posting endless things that
have little to do with the purpose of this group.  I can never read it
all because so many people are posting things about dead ferrets that it
takes up a lot of unneccesary time just reading those things.  People
join this email group to ask medical questions and get advice about
legalization about adopting ferrets, etc... I just wish people would
stick to the purpose of this forum and not take up so much space with all
their strange beliefs about the rainbow bridge and so forth.

I also got very offended when several of you posted things about feeding
your ferrets live mice and rats and then making a joke of it.  Why is it
that some of the ones so partial to ferrets don't also feel the same love
and compassion for other types of animals?  I personally value all life.
My child has pet rats and they are every bit as adorable and sweet and
actually less hyper than most ferrets.  Yet many uncaring people on this
forum look at them as only ferret food and that very much annoys me.  Why
the double standard?  Do you think my daughter's pet rat that recently
passed away will join your ferrets in the rainbow bridge and end up as
food for them??  Just curious.  I think some of you go too far on here.
I am sorry if that offends you, but it's how I feel and it's also true.

~Annoyed~

[Moderator's note: Well, yes, the FML is about ferret health care and
adoptions but it's about much more too.  It's really about EVERYTHING
ferret, and even ferret-owners when possible.

But there's nothing wrong with disliking some topics -- many people don't
read every post and, since the posts are sorted, it's pretty easy to just
read what interests you.  Sandee and the rainbow bridge posts are *very*
important to some subscribers -- less so to others.  I hope you'll feel
free to and choose to get what feel you need from the FML.  BIG]