From:
Margaret Merchant <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 14 Jan 2006 22:16:46 -0600
We need to all remember to make plans for our companion animals in case
we are no longer able to take care of them.

Even if you are young, you never know for sure what lies ahead.  In case
of severe illness, disability or death, we need to have plans already set
in place for our animals.

Not all family members are able, or willing, to accept the extra burden
of someone else's pets.  And when you start including animals besides the
"norm" for most, it becomes even more of an issue.

And in some cases, we need to have these plans set down in document form.
I, for one, have a cat that can't really go to another home with a cat.
He carries a deadly disease that isn't active in him.  So this is a major
consideration for him.

My ferrets will go to a friend who doesn't like cats.  Lol.  The ratties
to a shelter.

And if you can, set aside some funds for animal care.  Think about
portioning off some life insurance, or other asset, so that your babies
can have a good step in the right direction if you are no longer in their
lives.

Be sure and let folks know what you want!  Tell them if you have a will.
It is always a good thing so that others don't have to guess.  I have
been in the situation where illness came on my mother rather suddenly and
in less than 6 months she was gone.  Many things were taken care of in
that time, but not all.  We were too focused on trying to get her well.

So think about it when you *are* well and then you won't have to worry
later on.

Blessings,
Margie