Date:
Fri, 14 Feb 1997 11:26:41 -0500
I own approximately 20 various sized birds.  When my two ferrets are loose
and running around, they don't act like bloodthirty bird killers, but all
the birds' cages are up on stands or tables.  One day I did walk in the room
to find Mink atop my rosella's huge flight cage--she was having a wonderful
time running around up there, and the bird didn't seem to be the least bit
concerned.  A rosella is a medium-sized parrot and this particular one
ignored the ferrets and they ignored him.  But if he fluttered around his
cage though, I don't think the ferrets would continue to ignore him.

My Amazon-sized parrots strike out at dog noses and paws that get too close
to their cages and I would worry about what damage they might do to a
ferret, so they are never allowed loose at the same time.

If a small finch, canary or budgie is flying around and lands atop my
ferrets' cage, the ferrets will immediately try to grab the small bird.  If
the bird survive's the initial bite, he must receive antibiotics within
12-20 hours or will succomb to the bacteria that are present in the ferret's
mouth or claws.

I have never been able to combine (as in play) any ferret with any bird.
But the ferrets certainly don't bother my caged birds, nor seem to overtly
upset them.  My cockatiel even resides in the ferrets' room and likes to
watch them as they run and twirl and dance.

-cadel