Date:
Fri, 22 Aug 2008 09:11:01 -0500
Marilyn said,
>The ferrets need sit in front because they like the classical music.
>Nearer the radio - yes it has to be classical because they like it
>that way.

My ferrets like classical music, too. And, country. And, yes, even NPR!
(They are, after all, related to that silly mink!) Not to mention the
eclectic assortment of recorded books that accompany me on long trips.

But, when traveling, the likes of the ferrets are NOT the thing I
consider most important. It is their safety. And, just as the carriers
may be a little inconvenient to them on road trips, so can the volume
of the music (I don't think they are awake enough to keep up with the
books).

Consider - where is it recommended that children sit in the car? The
back seat. Why? Because it is safer. My personal experience has been
the same. When I rolled the car in May, the worst damage occurred to
the front passenger seat area. It is especially obvious if you see the
car in person. I had several items there, including a computer bag (on
the floor), a bag of pistachios, a water bottle, an assortment of CDs,
a BIG ol' flashlight, my purse and my protector. EVERY ONE of those
items was flung from the car. The only other place in the car that
suffered as much damage was the area right by the tailgate. Stuff was
thrown everywhere. The best protected area was the center-most point in
the car, which would be in the middle of the back seat. (The only items
not found were that flashlight and a lipstick by the tailgate, btw.)

I have been involved in one other car accident, ironically on the other
side of North Carolina, in Nantahala. We were coming home just before
8 am after going out early to the river. Three of us in a 15 passenger
van, the back seat passenger NOT wearing a seatbelt. A truck towing
about a dozen canoes was approaching us on a winding, two lane mountain
road and was over in our lane. I was only driving about 10 mph and
tried to get as close to the edge of the road as I could to give them
plenty of room on the curve. The front tire barely dropped over the
side of the road to the grass, but hit a crack and therefore had no
traction. As I turned the wheel to follow the road, the van went
straight, rolling down the hill and then beginning to roll onto its
side. By the grace of God we landed on a ledge that just barely held us
up. The backseat passenger was thrown from her seat - as was the
unsecured first aid kit! - and I can only imagine what "could have
been!" The front seat passenger was wearing a seatbelt and was strapped
in. BUT, what I saw as the van began to roll (before settling on the
ledge) was the front passenger corner of the windshield start to
buckle. THAT is the only place we had physical damage to the van. (Yes,
there is more to the story, but this is what makes my point.)

Bottom line: No matter WHAT! My ferrets do NOT ride in the passenger
seat up front! Heck, I don't even want to do so. And, I don't want
anyone else there either. I can imagine I will be doing a lot of
research in this area in the near future. I will let you know what
I learn. I hope this is helpful.

--
Renee Downs
"Eventually we will realize that if we destroy the ecosystem we