Date:
Wed, 21 Aug 2002 08:15:46 -0600
I didn't see the news report but I did get, sign, and forward, the
petition that is going about right now on this case.  It sickens more so
because I hold the people who watched and merely stood by and did nothing
as responsible as Mr. Benoit.  What on earth were they thinking when he
placed the kitten on the barbecue and what on earth were they thinking
when he set it ablaze.  Even more so, what were they thinking when they
laughed and cheered on Mr. Benoit.

In my eyes, they were as equally responsible and justice needs to be
served upon the spectators who stood by and did nothing.

For people to stand by and watch a defenseless creature burn and twitch
while it cried in pain is absolutely unforgivable.  it is these acts of
cruelty that make me personally ashamed to be a part of the human race.
It is this kind of act that vigilantism was created.  We all know that
justice will never be served and this thing called a man, will never be
fined enough, or put in jail long enough, to pay for his crime.  By
suggesting that his punishment duplicate his crime would put me in the
same category as he.

So what is fair justice?  What should his punishment be?  Banning him
from owning animals for 2 years?  4 years?  A lifetime?  He will always
have access to animals as long as people have pets.  Throw him in jail
for 3 months?  6 months?  A lifetime?  Our tax dollars would be paying
for his cable TV, his right to vote, his steak suppers.  Fine him $500?
$1000?  $5000?  And really, what will that do other than fuel his hatred
and pure disregard for other non-human, or possibly, human lives?  There
is only one solution to this crime but the laws are not made to protect
animals the same way humans are.  We need to step forward.  We need to
be heard.  And we need to keep getting heard.  Because next time, it
could be your neighborhood, and your dog, cat or ferret that is tortured,
maimed or killed.  Without your voice, the cries of these animals will
only be a whisper in the wind.  Be a part of the change that is necessary
to hold men like Mr. Benoit accountable for their actions, so much so
that others would fear even thinking about hurting an animal.

Speak out.  Be a voice.  Teach about responsibility.  The future of all
our non-human companions are in your hands.

betty and her blur o'fur
for the love of ferrets