From:
Sukie Crandall <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 11 Jun 2002 12:04:39 -0400
Nothing can or ever will replace veterinary care by a knowledgeable vet.
Yes, it makes sense to learn because then even those who have very
ferret-knowledgeable vets know better how to care for their animals, but
no list and no non-expert advice can replace that from experts.

Nor should veterinary care be withheld.  Obviously, if an animal is in
serious distress or possibly dying then the thing to do is to provide
prompt care.  When in doubt put the companion animal's needs first.

I had a great sadness recently when some members of my extended family
who simply are not responsible enough or serious enough about vet care
never-the-less got and soon lost a ferret.  She should not have died; it
was needless.  Yes, the care provided was enough to satisfy the legal
requirement of essential care, but it was little enough to kill.  What
destroyed the ferret was lack of needed medical care.  It might not be
what most people think of when they think of abuse, but it killed that
little ferret as surely as any other forms of abuse could have done.

When in doubt, when a ferret is in pain, when a ferret displays a
handicap, when a ferret is ill then get to the vet.  If the symptoms are
marked (like inability to walk, convulsions, etc.), or if they are ones
that tend to be very dangerous (trouble breathing, bleeding, inability to
urinate or defecate, unconsciousness, grande mal convulsions, etc.) then
get care even on an emergency basis.

      NOTHING replaces veterinary care -- nothing.

Sometimes that lesson is learned the hard way, but we here can all learn
it by reading and that can save many ferrets since it prevents it
happening again.

If in doubt get to the vet.  If you worry that it may be serious then call
the vet and see whether the vet wants to have an emergency appointment.
Steve and I have done that many times through the years; sometimes they
have us follow-up on our own with their instructions, sometimes the
animal needs to be seen soon but not immediately, sometimes they say,
"Meet you at the hospital in 15 minutes."  Don't be afraid to ask your
vet; be afraid of what may happen if you don't ask...