From:
steve baer <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 6 Apr 2002 13:39:28 -0500
I often read about how to stop a ferret from "disposing of his waste" in
the wrong place -- IF YOU CATCH HIM.  When we first got our ferret,
Coonsie, a month ago we quickly litter trained him and he was doing great
(with a few expected accidents occasionally).  But lately we'll come home
or enter the room to find that he's "done the deed" in the middle of his
cage, numerous times.  We always keep his litter box and cage clean, so
we know its not that.  We take him out for many hours daily to play and
he gets plenty of exercise.  I know its not that he can't make it to the
litter box, because he'll be right next to it and then go upstairs and
poop right in the middle of the floor.  Sometimes he'll go in the corner
right NEXT to his litter box.  We have been using positive reinforcement,
where we praise him, give him treats, and take him out to play immediately
after he uses the litter box.  He is just being a BAD boy all of a sudden
and digging all the litter out of his box, and going to the bathroom
everywhere but the right place.  Does anyone have any suggestions or
advice to some new ferret owners here!?  We are desperate!  I feel like I
have read every website, magazine, and book there is!

Steve and Jen Baer