From:
Shannon Smith <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 15 Nov 1999 12:53:02 -0500
Hi, as most of you will notice I'm new here.  I have one ferret, and my mom
has two which I am currently keeping for her.  I usually just read the many
posts...I have laughed...and I have cried over the past two weeks since I
signed up.  I have also been jealous...I want a ferret group and activities
and such in my area!  *LOL* Seriously, if anybody knows of any or knows
where I can find more info about any coming to the South Georgia / North
Florida area please let me know.  I live about an hour from Tallahassee,
Florida.  So, anything within a several hours drive would be much
appreciated.

Now, to get to the reason I have come out of "hiding"  : )

>Serious concern: One of our shelters being bleeding rectally last night.
>He has seemed healthy but slightly stressed for the last two weeks, since
>he came here.

>This ferret was eating and pooping perfectly normally until last night,
>and his activity level was at the low end of normal.

I had the same thing happen to my baby.  This was at 9:00 on a Sunday
nite...luckily I have a vet who has a 24 hour answering service and
everytime I have had to use it he has called back within 5 minutes and met
me within 10.  In any case, he kept him a couple days and had him on IV's
and antibiotics.  They kept him until his poop turned normal.  I brought
him home and gave him another 3 or 4 days worth of antibiotics.  Everything
seemed back to normal.  His activity level and playfullness were back to
normal.  Then, a little less than a week after he stopped the antibiotics,
I noticed that instead of poop there was this sort of green slime in his
litter box.  So, I once again made the trek to the vet who said he may have
"green slime disease" *aptly named don't ya think?* The ferret medical
world is still relatively new, and so a lot of times all they can do is
try and see what happens.  My vet uses the University of Florida *I think
that's who he said it was* for his ferret consulting as the apparently have
a big to do *research and stuff* down there for the ferrets.  He said this
disease is so new in it's being discovered that it only appears in a couple
of the books available on ferrets.  It happened to be in the book he had.
He gave him a stronger antibiotic.  It was called Amiglyde-V Injectible.
He gave it to me in syringes without the needle that I gave to him orally.
He has been fine ever since.  Obviously this may not be the problem with
yours, but I wanted to tell you about it just in case.  If there is
anything else you would like to know about it *such as dose and amount and
the like*, please don't hesitate to email me.

>Why can't these things happen at 9 AM instead of 11 PM?

Also, I thought I'd mention that this would be way too easy...and we know
that's just not the way *LOL*  I've asked myself the same thing many times
as my animals almost always wait until after hours to need immediate
attention.

I'm so glad I found this group...Thanks!

Shannon
Podo, Lexi & Riki
Also, Puppers *why won't these weasels just leave me be???*
Sami & Callisto *mom, can they come out to play now???*