From:
"Kris Aaron-Benedum (and S. & S.)" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 13 May 1997 14:12:31 -0500
While this post isn't specifically about ferrets, I want everyone to now how
powerful we all are when we put pen to paper (or e-mail to phone line) if we
see a wrong that needs to be righted.

A Janesville, Wisconsin man, Barry Herbeck, was recently arrested and
charged with torturing, sexually abusing and killing several cats and a
German shepherd puppy at his residence.  He would take his two little kids
around the area to "free to good home" ads he'd seen in the paper and
"adopt" kittens and puppies.

Herbeck is also a convicted child molester and has served time in prison for
robbery.

I put this information onto various websites and cat and dog lists similar
to Ferret Digest, with the address of the assistant district attorney and
judge hearing the case.  Both were innundated with letters and faxes from
all over the country decrying Herbeck's actions and demanding he be punished
to the full extent of the law.  Unfortunately, he remains free on a $25,000
signature bond and has pleaded not guilty to all charges (including being in
possession of firearms, which are prohibited to felons).

The power of these letters, however, may make the difference between the
judge and district attorney treating the case lightly versus recognizing the
terrible danger this individual poses to the community.

Letters are powerful!  They let people -- especially public servants -- know
others are watching what they do.  The local media has since picked up on
the story and given animal-related issues a higher profile.  Every letter
written to help Kodo or support ferret legalization in California -- whether
to the media or officials involved -- is worth its weight in gold.  They
work!  Keep 'em coming!

-- Rainey