From:
Ferret Rescue of Tidewater <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 5 Mar 1997 18:28:46 -0500
Hi all!

I wanted to respond to Dayna's post - please understand I am not a vet, I am
only giving my situation!  I had a rescue ferret, Rascal, who suffered from
all of the clinical signs of adrenals (hairloss around the base of the tail,
and as we like to say, "she couldn't put her volvo in the garage") and then,
her hair grew back and the swelling went down!  She was fine for about two
months, and then the hair fell out again, and her volvo wouldn't fit in the
garage again, so we had the surgery for adrenals done.  They removed the
left adrenal gland which was diseased, but no explanation for why the hair
came back or swelling went down was ever offered - perhaps the excretion of
cortisone is waxes and wanes - maybe some of the vets can explain that
better - I can only give my advice: SMELL THE FERRET.  Every adrenal ferret
I have ever had had a more acrid, musky odor than the typical ferret, and
they always seemed to be "hotter" body temp wise, than a ferret not
suffering from adrnenal tumors.

I hope this helps!

Lisa