From:
Ferretwise <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 3 Oct 2005 15:10:51 -0400
Hello List friends--

I would like to tell you that although someone in the ferret community
feels they have slammed me, I feel ABSOLUTELY COMPLIMENTED!

You will recall the small underage ferrets which arrived at Ferret Wise
Shelter in August 2nd?  You can view one of them by visiting the shelter
website www.ferretwise.org.  This one is indeed ammunition for the appeal
for ferret standards with USDA/APHIS.

Well the breeder from whenst they came has paid me the highest
compliment.  She ( KJ) has proclaimed me a total nut case -- in her own
words -- I can send the email..  and says no one will believe me.

The only thing I can tell you IF you are considering purchasing a
CAROLINA FERRET --- read our website--
www.ferretwise.org
request a newsletter from Ferret Wise shelter..  HER WEBSITE IS VERY
DECEPTIVE, I have files forwarded from her, testimony and ferrets
documented at intake right down to the shipping petaxi here to prove
that.

Claiming CAROLINA FERRETS ships kits at 8-10 weeks.  I have a folder
full of testimonies from folks in NC and abutting areas who have
purchased from her stating that on her premises all ferrets appeared
5 weeks of age.

NOW, I may be a total nut case but I heal ferrets -- I do not compromise
their health by butchering ( or sending them to Canada for spay /neuters
at five weeks of age-- she does!  It is no wonder the woman has posted to
USDA/APHIS that she feels they should not adopt standards and cites they
could not enforce the regulations-- she would hate to be the one who was
enforced against!

I have an email communication from her (KJ) attesting that she allowed
neuter of these ferrets at 5 weeks of age and attributed it to customer
demand.  PLUS she did NOT VACCINATE for protection from Canine distemper
BECAUSE they were too young!

DOES THIS SOUND LIKE A REPUTABLE BREEDER TO YOU?

If you have not posted an edocket comment -- I again ask you to please
speak up for the little ones who cannot speak for themselves-- the ferret
kits -- who if they receive fair standards like cats & dogs-- will
hopefully get a shot at a healthier life.  I think we all can see the
good in that.

The PROCESS TO DO SO  is :

1.  Go to this link (it leads you to the existing comments for docket
04-088-1, which are interesting)

<http://docket.epa.gov/edkfed/do/EDKStaffCollectionDetailView
?objectId=0b0007d4809252bb>

(I believe it may be a changing link, if it does not work you can find
the working link at <http://www.ferretcongress.org/>

[Moderator's note: Please see the end of thos post for instructions.  BIG]

2. Click Submit Comment

3. Ask that the current standards be updated to improve ferret welfare
   as they are raised for sale and shipped.

That one sentence is all that is needed.

PLEASE help with this, it will only take a moment of your time, and you
will be helping to improve the future for ferrets everywhere.

And you have the grateful thanks of a total nutcase who tries to heal
those unfortunate breeder ferrets like Carolina screws up!

I am proud to be a total nutcase-- and by the way -- heed her warning
NEVER SEND YOUR PURCHASED CAROLINA FERRET TO A  FERRET SHELTER
especially one that is familiar with husbandry or breeding ferrets!!!!

Rather - she (KJ) will gratefully take it back and resell it to another
individual!  Now THAT is heart  don't you think! :)

Yep  that site is wonderfully informative.  She loves her work-- or the
finances it brings!

Alicia the nutcase shelter worker!
www.ferretwsie.org

Hey I have heard that from pet shop suppliers too -- BUT THEY DID NOT
publish on their web site that ferrets were older & healthier like she
does!

[Moderator's note: Following are the instructions for submitting
your comment as detailed at the IFC web site.  Note also the one-line
comment suggested above is probably not particularly effective nor
even too readable, so feel free to elaborate a bit!  BIG]

- Go to http://www.regulations.gov/
- Under the Agency popup menu, select Animal and Plant Health Inspection
  Service.
- In the Keyword box, enter ferret.
- Click Submit.
- This will bring up a list including the original Docket APHIS-2005-0063.
  Click on the Docket ID in the first column to see the current list of
  comments.  The last column contains an Add Comments button, which will
  bring up the comment submission form.