From:
Especially Ferrets <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 18 Apr 2001 00:15:06 -0600
Right now, there are very many ferret mommies and daddies going through
some hard times with their fuzzies due to the changing photoperiods.
Elevated hormone levels, swollen prostates, UTI's, and other maladies that
commonly affect ferrets this time of year.  For those of you who electing
to follow through to the end and not give up through euthanasia, I salute
you and pray for the best outcome to your individual dilemmas.

The reason for this post, is that even right now, many of those I just
spoke about are my friends and clients from through the years and are even
willing to spend the time and money aaannnd then have the courage to give
their fuzzies just one more day of life through, chemo, surgery, and/or
whatever it takes to see one more day of life.  Many of you will say that
pain and suffering are cruel things to endure or subject and animal to, but
I say that so-called animal is a family member and if pain and suffering
were criteria for ending a life, then none of us would see the age of
twenty-one.  Do you euthanize your autistic child?  How about that broken
arm or leg you had as a child.  How about granpa's arthritis?  How about
granma when she had a stroke and couldn't even feed herself anymore?  Don't
think it hurts?  Ask any cancer survivor or bypass patient!  Pain is a
sense just as pleasure is and to be alive to experience it is a miracle
in itself.  To take that away from your family member in not right.  To
let them go in their own time is loving, and divine.

I have been reading so much lately of families who just easily end it for
their little fuzzies when there is still plenty of time.  I ask, spend the
time and the money, you may suffer a bit more and cry more, but you will
never ever ask yourself, "did it end too soon?"

HUgs to all of you and your fuzzies,
Ferretguy