From:
Chere McCoy <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 11 May 2000 02:59:12 EDT
At 12:50am May 11th ,2000.  Ferret Friends Disaster Response was brought to
DISASTER RESPONSE status due to the fires in New Mexico.  Los Alamos has
been completely evacuated

Currently we have two staging areas ready to accept medical & supplies for
the animals.

Also standing by are persons willing to take ferrets and house them during
this disaster.

Please be gathering together supplies.  There is a big need for extra cages
and litter (preferably the newspaper type that does not weight much).
Myself or our Web Site Designer/Director Ms. Hart will be giving out more
information as it comes in  Please check the FFDRI Web Site for the most
current information.  Our Internet Coordinator Mr. Holowicki will also be
assisting in sending messages throughout the Internet to various
organizations.

We will give you updates on the ferrets that are coming in and their
condition as often as we can.  Also please do not forget the other
animals.

Paula Federici
PF Ferret Shelter
2640 Calle Primavera
Santa Fe NM 87505
E-mail Address(es):

Santa Fe is located 30 miles from Los Alamos.  Los Alamos has been
evacuated (all 11,000 people) because of the fire.  At this time several
suburbs are currently on fire.  Paula is willing to be a staging area for
any food and medical supplies that will be needed.  She is also willing to
take in any small caged animals as long as she has space for anyone that
needs temporary shelter.

Gwynne McMurry
High Dessert Ferret Shelter
329 Moon NE
Albuquerque NM 87123
E-mail Address(es):

She is located about an hour from Los Alamos.  She is willing to be our
staging area in Albuquerque for the same things Paula is in Santa Fe.
Gwynne cannot accept any other animals, but she can accept a limited number
of ferrets.

Both of these people will be emailing you tomorrow with a list of animal
shelters, private, city and county owned that they have contacted.  These
are the questions that I told them to ask:

1. Can they accept animals, how many and what kind.
2. Do they need supplies to accept these animals.
3.  What vet is willing to work with the injured animals and what medical
supplies will these vet accept as donations (as in vaccines, antibiotics,
and surgical).

They will also be trying to get in contact with all of their ferret people
in the surrounding areas of the fire and let you know if any of them need
help or can help.