From:
Date:
Sat, 29 May 2004 14:14:08 -0400
Well, no new ferrets this week but i still have some things to tell ya!

Nibbles went to a terrific home!  She was the little one who was given
up because her mommie couldn't afford adrenal surgery.  Her mommie had
just lost her dad as well and was going through a terrible time.  Nibbles
wasn't fairing so well at the shelter, but now is in a free-roam home
without any other animals/children and her new mom is a vet tech!

the shelter ended up with yet another tame stoat (NOT a Wolfie STOUT).
this one came from a rural area and jumped into someone's lap.  the
person thought it was a baby ferret and called my mommie to go and get
him.  you can imagine mommie's surprise when she saw a tincy little boy
stoat.

the family that found him named him Timbit.  He is litter trained, hand
tame and VERY hungry.  his favorite places to sleep include anyone's hand
or on a person's chest.  He was first spotted with 4 other stoat-like
babies.  Descriptions of the babies sound more like baby ferrets not
stoats.  mommie is worried someone is breeding stoats to ferrets or
breeding stoats as pets.

Sadly, Timbit's brothers/sisters were not found.  they were also quite
tame and were climbing up the legs of the family that found Timbit, but
were spooked away by the family's dog.  there was no mother in sight and
poor little Timbit is still suckling on blankets.

He is quite ferret-like, making dook dook noises and war dancing.  He
cage broke at 5 in the morning and mommie spent 1/2 hour trying to get
him back to bed.  he is quite narcoleptic and can be bouncing and
"chatting" one minute, then falls asleep where he stands.

He weighs in at 155 grams (or about 5 ounces).  the shelter is still
unsure what they will do with him.  it will be hard to adopt him into a
home.  it's hard enough to ferret proof a home, let alone stoat proof!

Timbit will be off to the vets this week and hopefully the vet will have
some ideas on what to do with him. If there is anyone out there that has
experience with tame stoats, please e-mail my mommie.

the shelter is gearing up to go to the great Canadian Outdoor expo
next weekend.  this is the place where they will find all those yuckie
back-yard breeders.  the volunteers have already started up a collection
for mommie's bail money should she get outta hand (like THAT would ever
happen lol!)

The shelter is also looking for volunteers for Pride weekend, June 26 &
27.  If you can help with the Toonie Drive, marching in the parade with
our purple ferret "float" or helping at the booth, please let mommie
know.  this year, i'll be there in spirit as mommie will be taking the
stuffed toy replica of me that auntie Rene made her.

Annie's pathology results came in.  She has something called Angiomatosis
Hamartoma.  it's a non-cancerous growth that will probably come back.  it
will have to be removed again as it can become cancer if it is left
alone.

Pogue & Blarney are still the same and we may have to change antibiotics
again. Poor kids.

All my love, Harley "Bug"

The Ferret Aid Society "For the Love of our Fuzzy Friends"
http://www.ferretaid.org/>