From:
Amy Luttinger <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
The Ferret Mailing List (FML)
Date:
Mon, 19 Jul 1993 19:14:10 -0400
Hi
I know this is a depressing topic, but there was some discussion about
ferrets and cancer recently, and I never got around responding.  And I
think this is an important topic for all us ferret lovers.  Especially
if what my vet (who I trust) says is true, and 30% of ferrets get benign
tumors of the pancreas.  And they get alot of other tumors too.  Mine
just had a benign tumor from the end of her tail (it was the size of a
big grape) removed.

First off: environmental exposure to mutagens.: Someone (sorry I dont
remember who) discussed the link between melatonin and cancer.  And also
EM fields.  I personally doubt that melatonin (activated by sunshine, I
believe) is significant in the cancers of any indoor pet: sunlight is so
much more intense than electric lights are.  Furthermore, unlike us, our
pets have a thick covering of fur that will protect their shin from
harmfull rays.  I also doubt that the furries are exposed to especially
high EM fields in most homes (unless, like mine, they sleep under the
refridgerator).  The data for high EM causing cancers is still shakey.
Insecticides and herbacides I could imagine being a problem.

So that leaves viral and genetic factors.

Does anyone know of anyone doing research on these possibilities?
Viruses have been shown to be the cause of a limited number of cancers.
I think for humans they are estimated to be responcible for about 10% of
human cancers.  For example hepatitis B can lead to liver cancer.  In
other animals a variety of tumor causing viruses are known.  I imagine
that these each cause a specific type of cancer generally, rather than a
general predisposition to cancer.  Mouse "breast cancer" for instance is
(can be) caused by a specific virus.  If viruses are causing the cancers
in ferrets (I have the impression there are several fairly common
cancers), then it seems possible to immunize against them, or breed
stock free of them, and screen newly aquired ferrets as is done for
feline leukemia.  Its no easy thing to find a virus, but its possible.
Is anyone out there working on this?

The other interesting possibility is that the cancers are due to some
genetic predisposition.  I have the impression that The domestic ferrets
sold as pets are highly inbred (to be bigger, calmer...).  Does anyone
know if this is true?  If this is a genetic defect (and such defects are
known in people and other animals) than it can be gotten rid of with a
careful breeding program.  Is anyone trying something like this?  What
is needed is a database of family trees with causes of death.  Ferrets
whose parents (or grandparents) had cancer shouldnt be bred.

I am not a ferret breeder, but this seems like a good thing to try.

Anyhow I would be interested in hearing from people who are interested in these
 topics, and/or working on them.

A related question, is there a good book that really gets into the
anatomy/physiology and diseases of the ferret out there?

(I am a microbiologist)

Amy Luttinger, and Professor Wigglesworth (Wiggles)