Date:
Tue, 10 Nov 1998 16:10:33 -0600
Good news.  My downright-dangerous roommate is leaving the weekend before
Thanksgiving, so Derv and I get the place to ourselves until January, when
we get a new apartment.  In the event my landlord doesn't view her as a
"caged pet", Derv's adoptive ferret-daddy (my friend Miles) has begged me to
let him take her in for a week or two.  I'm hoping it doesn't come to that,
but because of my roommate breaking the lease, our landlord is really,
really mad at us.  However, my next-door neighbor offered his place to hide
her in if I get short notice.  Everyone really seems to want Derv at their
place.  If they only knew what would become of their hairbrushes! :-)  Derv
still hasn't given my roomie back her brush.  This amuses me far more than
it should.  Dervish is just a champion defender of justice!

Derv has a new favorite toy: an unopened soda can, she pushes it around
endlessly.  That, and potatoes.  She's figured out how to get the cabinet
unlatched, and all that's in there is a case of Ramen noodles and a bag of
potatoes.  Who was it the other day who found a potato in the couch?  No
potatoes here have made it that far yet, just under the TV and dining room
table.  And an individually-wrapped granola bar is currently her nemesis.
She's gonna get that thing open come hell or high water. :-)

I'm really feeling the ferret-love today.  Is there any greater feeling
than to walk into your home after a long day, and see a fuzzy little ferret
face peering at you from around the corner?  (Until, of course, you see
that she's pulled every sock out of the drawer and scattered around the
room.) I never realized how happy having a ferret would make me.  Even
after a horrible day of tests and errands and all that, she's still here
and she's thrilled to come out and play.  Now that's an attitude to
cultivate.

Now, a query.  She's eating, drinking, sleeping, and playing normally; no
extra treats or weird treats or anything at all.  But yesterday, her poopies
were very light in color; there was no difference other than that.  They're
normal again today.  I got the impression from the Ferret Central FAQ that
this is normal since there are no other symptoms.  What might have caused
this, and do I need to be worried?  (And what does it say about my social
life that I spend so much time thinking about ferret poop?  :-)

-(TX) Meghan and Scuttle-Butt Dervish the WonderFerret ("Mom, put the whole
thing with Great-High-Queen-Sheba in front of my name!!")

Ferrets: living, breathing, dooking warm-fuzzies.