From:
"all yr weezils r belong to us." <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 22 Jun 2001 12:38:46 -0700
>From:    Tysa Jayne Kihn <[log in to unmask]>
>
>I worry in a college town like this that some idiot will get it and
>cage it up for the rest of its life (like the 2 we rescued).

while i totally and completely appreciate your concern for the ferrets, i
have to say that i find that comment a mite ageist... and not just because
i, myself, am a twenty-something college kid.  sadly, mistreatment,
neglect, and misunderstanding of ferrets is exhibited by people of all
ages, and in all types of communities.  as the shelter parents among us
know, even people who seem sincerely willing to care for their ferrets
occasionally find that the ferrets are "more than they can handle", and
that problem is not at all age-specific.

please dont' take this as a flame, it's not at all.  i just don't like to
see groups of people generalized about on basis of age, and i am saddened
by the fact that comments like that are usually made with no malicious
intent, and accepted as more or less appropriate by people who just don't
stop to consider that they might not be.

no matter how old i get, i hope i never forget being young.

good luck with these fuzzies!

>From:    Kerry Gibbs <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: Help Wanted
>
>Well here is the problem:
>
>I am trying to sew up some sleep sacks, I have made 2 pockets

on this subject, does anyone have any reccomendations for an
INEXPENSIVE sewing machine that a poor twenty-something college
kid might be able to afford for weezilprojects and DIY clothing
endeavours?  i figure there's probably a number of arts'n'craftsy
people here who might have some reccomendations...

>From:    Natalie Cornish <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: prices on food
>
>I went to the store last night to pick up some more Totally
>Ferret and WOW was I shocked.  Prices are up to $18.99 per 5
>pound bag.

i don't know about the supply question, but i do know that the ferret
store superior choice diet seems to be a fairly good food for them, and
is not terribly expensive ($36 for a 20 pound bag, i believe.)  maybe TF
is having to charge more because more people are switching to the ferret
store diet? :) just a thought.  i feed it to all my fuzzies, and i think
it's 28 paws up, here.

>From:    Kristen Dixie <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: New Ferret Owner....
>
>My second question is regarding flea treatments.  I was
>wondering if it's okay to use flea drops that you can purchase
>from pet stores oposed to something like Advantage??

In my experienc, the over the counter stuff simply doesn't work (this was
tried with my catses), though i dont' know if it's safe for fuzzies or
not.  flea shampoos for kittens can be used on occasion, i believe.  one
cat-tube of advantage, though, is usually sufficient for three or four
fuzzies....

-k- (whose weezils also require a crapper on every level f the cage,
but to my dismay.)