From:
Dick Bossart <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 8 Dec 1998 18:15:09 EST
I have to agree with Pam on this one.  We'd all love to have a new home
that is 100% perfect for the ferrets we adopt.  But is that for the
ferret's best interest.  How about taking 80 -90% and training the other
10 - 20%.  How many of us were 100% perfect with our first ferret, or did
we make mistakes and have to learn a lot?  I'm still learning.

Waiting until the perfect person comes along means a shelter full of
ferrets who are not getting all of the attention that they might.  Adopting
to a person who meets most of the criteria (and there are key ones that
would automatically rule out that person) and are willing to learn may be
better for the ferret in both the long and short run.

Dick B.