From:
Lisette Lumsden <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 23 Feb 2005 10:34:46 EST
I had to actually walk away from my computer after seeing the pics from
the first rescue in 2003 this morning.  That was utterly heart breaking.

Is it the same woman who has taken in these 43 ferrets?  She is probably
still in debt from the first rescue.  I do not know how many of us think
about it...but there are women that I personally know of who are in debt
for Thousands of dollars from these rescues.  Yes, thousands of dollars
in debt.

You don't hear the stress in their voice.  You don't see the despair as
they open up another bill they do not have the money to pay.  We cannot
imagine the never ending vet visits, illnesses, feedings...

They HAVE to spend moments wondering whether or not they have done the
right thing.  How are they going to survive let alone save enough to
retire?  How are they going to pay for the electric bill?And there are
moments or days of utter depression for the people I know.  We cannot kid
ourselves and think that this would not be true under such conditions.

Just look at the people in Florida...One woman is about to lose her home,
if she has not already.  Her last message?  It was about the little ones.
Just chokes me up.

I will try to do my best to get out some treasures on E-bay.  I bet
others are already holding their kleenex in their hands as I am as they
think how they might help.

If all of us could just take a moment to pray for these women AND men who
are now in the vicious credit card late fee cycle because they would not
permit atrocity...because they put a ferret life above themselves again
and again....

We know of the woman who runs a shelter who does not have a trust worthy
vehicle, though she lives in a cold, snowy area.  She needs another
vehicle.  She needs a new roof over her house.  But there are more
ferrets that she has just taken in that need vet care instead.  So many
others in her care need Lupron shots, surgery, and meds.  We all know of
her.  One of our ferret heroes.  What a tough life these people have.

I just wish I was a millionaire right now.

But I'm not.  In fact, I am now dealing with the expense of a fire ..
no one hurt and only smoke damage.  But just one more bill on top of
so many lately.  We can all understand that.

I want to thank this group of people and BIG for this venue to inform us
of these plights..these dire circumstances: and for informing us of the
heroes that ...although they are not rushing into a burning building, or
under fire in Bagdad...often give up their safety net, their nest egg,
their savings.

They are under fire from the constant stresses of raising funds, raising
awareness, phone calls, interviews with potential adopters.  Have you
ever tried to clip the nails, clean the ears and teeth, and clean the
cages, food and water bowls, and change the litte boxes of 43 ferrets
while making sure the ferrets get play time, though ferret A hates ferret
B, and C has escaped ?  Meanwhile the phone is ringing...no one just has
one ferret to dump off.  It is 3 to 10 they want to give up.  Somehow
you have to get ferret supplies and get to the vets with one of the new
rescues.  Then you have to start on the evening meds.  On my only
vacation days I had for 4 years running I got a staggering glimpse of
running a shelter.  I was there from 10 AM until 8 PM. scrubbing walls,
sweeping and washing floors, toilets, cages, carriers, bringing in car
loads of food and litter that lasted mere weeks.

Clean you house?  Run your errands?  Relaxe?  In your dreams.

Anyway... I will try and get some things to put on e-bay.  I wish I could
do more.  But if we all do whatever we can...at least write a letter of
thanks and encouragement?  Pray at night for these people.  Think of
anything cool you are tired of looking at that SOS might put on ebay?

I now publicly thank all of those wonderful ladies and men who go
overboard to save a life of a living being that so many others think
of as insignificant.

THANK YOU, THANK YOU, THANK YOU