Reply To:
The Ferret Mailing List (FML)
Date:
Wed, 21 Apr 1993 11:26:25 -0400
Hello,
      I'm new to the list so I just wanted to give a big greeting
to other ferret lovers from Farah (4yr old female) and myself.
   The other reason I'm writting is to tell a litle tale of the way I
came to be the prowd (owner is NOT the word I'm looking for) friend
of such a wonderful creature.
     Grateful to have found a place to live (the old place burned down)
I moved in with a stranger who (to my surprise) owned a ferret.  I had
never seen a ferret or considered them pets but she seemed to be nice.
  I asked this man about the fact that she was made too stay in a shoe
box sized cage all the time.  He said that ferrets liked small places
so she didn't mind being confined about 23 hours out of the day.
   I asked about the fact that she only had enough water to last her
a day and he refilled her water only every two or three days.  He said
that they don't need much water.
   Well, I asked a lot of questions of this kind about food, litter,
and time out of the cage and got back the same cruel answers.
   So, I asked how much he would sell the ferret for and after being
charged more than he origionally paid for her, I asked for my deposit.
I don't need a roof over my head so badly that I have to live with an
abusive person.
   It turns out that I found a place to live the next day (with a LOTk
of help) and I moved (not a lot of trouble when everything you've got
went up in flame).  I'm now living comfortably with a great room-mate
and a great ferret.
   I wanted to alert anyone who loves animals that there are people
who abuse creatures and need to be stopped.  I know that Farah would
be dead now if she hadn't found a new friend and I'll never be the
same.
                                       From Athens, Ga.-Trevor