From:
"Nancy J. Taylor" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 12 Apr 1997 16:40:49 -0400
Please don't get angry at me for writing about this accident.  It is really
very sad.  I just wanted to alert those of you who may not know about this
problem.

About a year and a half ago I owned a beautiful black-eyed white ferret
named Klondike.  She was full of life and love.  She died when I decided to
protect her from some chocolate that she and Blizzard had stolen from my
bag.  She had pulled the chocolate under my recliner (another mistake).
When I moved the recliner to retrieve the candy, I accidently placed the
chair on top of her.  I thought that I had accounted for both ferrets and
that it was safe to move the chair.  I lost her because of that assumption.
Anyway, that day I also got rid of the recliner and my sofa-bed.  I now have
"ferret safe" (I hope) furniture.

Because of the accident, I also learned to place my ferrets in a safe place
whenever I need to move furniture.  I get their attention by using a loud
squeaky toy.  Once I have physically accounted for each and every one of
them and they are all in a safe place, I then move the funiture.

I suppose that I didn't believe that an accident like this could happen since
I always tried to be careful.  It does happen and it happens very quickly.

Well, I just wanted to talk to people who would really understand what I
feel.  Please don't get too angry for my talking about such a sad topic.

Many Dooks,
Nancy and the ferretkids (Juneau, Blizzard, Yukon, and Simba)