From:
Sandaili <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 23 Sep 2008 19:57:04 -0700
It is always a possibility when you do rescue that you have sick ones
come in. Some rescues do test all of the new ferrets; however, most
that I know of do random ADV testing. The reality is that if you run
a rescue, you won't typically have room to quarantine new ones
effectively.

If they have ADV I don't believe bleaching "everything" will
work...because it's such a invasive disease...but I could be wrong. It
doesn't hurt, and helps, but I think once you are ADV positive as a
shelter, you basically can only take in ADV ferrets from that point
on, as it lives for years in the surroundings. This is what I've read
online, but I have no personal experience with ADV testing except that
I've randomly tested ones during my years as a rescue. None ever were
positive.

Are you doing the snap tests or did they send the samples to the lab
in another state?

Could it be a terrible case of coccidian? Did the vet even bring up
coccidia as a possibility? ADV effects animals differently and I
think it might be odd to have three pass away of it so close to each
other...but I guess it is possible.

How long did you have them with you before they started going downhill?
Were they cagemates before they came to you? How old were they?

I am so sorry to hear about three ferrets dying in such a way. I am
really sorry. I hope none of the others are displaying symptoms!

By the way - What vet do you use? I also wanted to let you know that
after you go to Williamston's vet, Cedar Creek Veterinary Hospital -
at least once, then you can get the vet to meet you there after hours
for emergencies. It comes out to about $100 to be seen at night, but
sometimes you need to put someone to sleep quickly or maybe someone's
arm is broken, who knows...but one time I had a kit who hit his head
extra hard on the tile and we wanted to have him seen, and we paged the
doctor, he came, and saw him. He was fine, and a little tired, but they
do that service. In the Lansing area it is difficult to find any ferret
vets who do not cost an arm and a leg after hours.

Laryssa