From:
Dianne Rohowicz <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 14 Dec 2005 19:11:45 +0800
I have for very many years now had a rather large number of ferrets who
have free run in the backyard of our home - also have entry to laundry
area via a ferret door should they want to sleep in an inside sleep area
rather one of the many outdoor ones.

We have had two dogs over the years and both have been small.  One was
a Silky Terrier/Miniature Poodle cross and was quite a few years old
when first introduced to ferrets and the current one - a Chihauhau/Silky
Terrier cross - although much more a terrier than a chihauhau was just a
pup himself the first time.

Both dogs thoroughly enjoyed playing chasey with the ferrets in the
backyard and, even when ferrets imitated raptors and stood in wait for
the dog to run past before pouncing, the dogs have put up with all the
ear nibbling & tail nipping they receive without aggressive retaliation;
when they have had enough they just shake all the ferrets off and move
to another area - to repeat the same game.

Being an occasional breeder I am also able to trust the dog to play with
the kits without harming them once they reach the 7 - 8 week old age when
they are able to play in the great outdoors - although rest assured I
would never leave the kits alone outside for any kind of harm to befall
them.

Maybe I have just been very fortunate, maybe not, but for the enjoyment
of both and exercise for the dogs it has been a bonus.  I do admit I
would be a little wary of having a Jack Russell with my ferrets as
they hunt in the same way, but I have been told by others that this
combination does exist quite happily in some households.  Possibly it
all depends upon the way in which they are first introduced.

Best wishes for the festive season to all.

Dianne.