From:
june batz <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 8 Jan 1999 06:39:50 -0800
And yet another little parasite I dispise, and yes they are pretty hard to
get rid of!!

ONE IMPORTANT THING TO REMEMBER, before medicating the ear, you have to
clean it, or the medication will not absorb.  I know with dogs and cats you
can go pretty far into the canal, I am not sure with ferrets, go for what
you can see and GENTLY.  Tresaderm is a good product, though I have clients
who swear by mineral oil..  Different vets have different methods in
treating earmites, what I mean by that is, some say treat one week then one
week off..treat...break..treat..break..ect.. you get the picture, Or some
say every other day..there are other variations.  Reason being tresaderm
DOES NOT kill the eggs, just the adults, so after the adults are dead, 2
weeks later the eggs hatch..its a nice little viscious circle.  And what
happens is people dont follow directions or get tired of medicating their
pets 2x a day for 2 weeks, that they stop.  REMEMBER THIS, mites are most
active at night, so if you opt to medicate only once a day, do it at night.
Mites are painful to your little one and if none of this gets you..MITES
ARE TRANSMITTABLE TO HUMANS.  But you are hard pressed to get them unless
you stick your dirty finger in your ear, or POSSIBLY have your ferret sleep
next to your head.( READ A STUDY IN SCHOOL whERE A VET INTENTIONALLY
INFECTED HIMSELF WITH EARMITES TO SEE WHAT IT FELT LIKE..BESIDE BEING
PAINFUL, HE COULD HEAR THEM DIGGING IN HIS EAR AND RUN ACROSS HIS FACE TO
GET INTO HIS OTHER EAR..GROSSSSSS..  the funny thing is that he did this
experiment not ONCE but TWICE..took 30 days for him to get rid of them.)
So bottom line you have to be DILIGENT and CONSISTENT, and always clean
before medicating..OKAY ..ONWARDS..how many people does it take to temp a
ferret???ANYONE...

3 PEOPLE, at least it was in my case, 1 to scruff and hold the front feet,
1 to offer ferretvite 1 to hold the back feet and do the dirty deed.Socks
did not like this one bit, I managed to keep the thermometer in for almost
2 min.  and I got a reading of 100.5..so she is fine..her energy level has
returned, the last 3 days her poops are are brown, VERY little mucous, but
they are SEEDY..So am I correct in assuming she is not digesting much of
her food???

Also, I recall someone mentioning using a digital thermometer..if this is
POSSIBLE, please tell me what to do, because rectals are so intrusive...

Ending on a funny note..I am always experementing on ways for Chandler to
amuse me, bobbing for raisins, shallow large dish, 1/2 inch of warm water
and about 4 raisins..and I sit back and watch him do his polar bear
imitation, he may eat one, but his goal is to get them all out so I keep
putting them back in..TOO CUUUTE!!  OR put ice cubes in the water bowl, he
snorkles for those gets them out of the bowl and pushes them around the
kitchen, and I have two little plastic balls that I leave in the water bowl
he just has a blast..But nothing irratates the cats more than going to
drink some water and stepping in a Puddle..*GRIN*

Have a fabulous ferrety day!!!!

June,
Chandler:How can I amuse you..let me count the ways,
Socks; You're gonna put that WHERE!!?..I feel fine, really I do....