From:
Star City Ferret Club & Rescue Network <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 3 Jun 2005 12:56:04 GMT
Good day all!
I bought this treat (Butler NutriSentials Lean Treats) from my Vet's
office for my dogs but the ferrets LOVE them as well but I am hesitant
about feeding them to my fuzzies.  I do break the "cubes" up into fourth
and treat my gang to one or two pieces every other week or so.

The three ingredients I'm not crazy about are the third, fourth & fifth
on the list.

Ingredient list:
Skinless Chicken, Chicken Liver, Corn, Chicken By-Product Meal, High
Fructose Corn Syrup, Wheat Flour, Glycerin, Propylene Glycol, Phosphoric
Acid, Salt, Potassium Sorbate and Calcium Propionate and BHA and Citric
Acid (Preservatives), Iron Oxide.

Guaranteed Analysis:
Moisture (max)      32%
Crude Protein (min) 23%
Crude Fat (max)      7%
Crude Fat (min)      4%
Crude Fiber (max)    2%

For comparison the Bandit Ferret treats have these listed:

Ingredients:
Chicken by-products, liver, chicken by-products meal, corn, gelatinized
corn flour, chicken, glycerin, fructose corn syrup, wheat flour,
phosphoric acid, salt, potassium sorbate, calcium propionate, citric
acid.  BHA.

Guaranteed Analysis:
Crude protein (min) 24%
Crude fat (min) 9%
Crude fiber (max) 2%
Moisture (max) 32%

Other than hand feeding ferret kibble as treats, my guys don't get much
else; Ferretone while we do nails & a bite of a treat after the deal is
done.

Never raisins or other sugary things.  Even switched away from Laxatone.
for Ferrets and am giving my guys straight Vaseline .  once a week; more
often during the shedding seasons.  I was very surprised to find they
lap up the stuff readily!

So, thoughts on the Butler treats anyone?

Director, Big Lick Ferret Shelter & Hospice
http://www.orgsites.com/va/biglickferrethospice
Founder, Star City Ferret Club & Rescue Network
http://starcityferrets.bravehost.com
No outfit is complete without ferret fur!