From:
Kym Zorn <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 18 Feb 2000 05:20:45 -0500
Hello all,

I've noticed a few recent posts in the FML that have contained references
to personal disputes between members of this list.  Of course there are a
myriad of different opinions on any given topic - varying opinions and open
discussion make this list extremely valuable .  However, I feel as if this
exchange of opinions is sometimes secondary to personal vendetta.  If
anyone on the list has a particular problem with another, please consider
your fellow listmates and at least attempt to solve it privately.  I
understand that this will not work in all situations, but I for one am not
at all interested in hearing about someone who has blocked someone else's
email, etc., especially when names are mentioned .  What purpose does this
serve ?  What good does this do the list in general ?  What result are you
looking for when you make public this information ?

It is certainly understandable to react strongly when you feel your
viewpoint is challenged in an impolite or abrupt way.  Human nature.  It
is especially hard when comes from someone you may know in passing, or
not all.  Add on the fact that this is a public list, and frustration
increases.  However, keep in mind the constraints of this media - no facial
expressions, no speech nuances, etc.  Things can be misconstrued easily.

Okay, suppose you ARE treated rudely or unfairly.  That's too bad, but
frankly, I really don't want to want to read about your personal arguments
in this forum.  I read this for ferret information, not human squabbles.
We're all adults, but these he-said-she-said posts read like ignorant
childish finger-pointing.  Please try and resolve your differences
privately, or simply ignore it when posting.  At the risk of offense,
and meaning none, not everyone finds these disagreements riveting.

Best to all,

Kym and the adored twelve