From:
Troy Lynn Eckart <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 31 Aug 1999 11:30:05 -0500
Lynn thank you for your post.  I hear this frequently.  What we try to do
is work with the people to help arrange (notice I said arrange as we all
have the exact same amount of time in each day - it just depends on how we
use it) their time so the ferrets are getting the time they need.  What
saddens me the most are the people that are tired of taking care of their
ferrets and they use time as an excuse.  Please note that I can tell the
difference between the two reasons so if you come to me, be honest.  I'll
respect you for it.

Here's what we suggest -
Morning - let ferrets out while you are getting ready for work, getting
kids ready for school, etc.  This should give them some good fun morning
times when their energy is high and they'll wear out to sleep the day.  You
have to check food, water, and possibly clean litter box (depends on if you
do it morning or night or both) anyway.  Now I do understand that some
people jump out of bed into the shower and off to work they go so if this
is you, get up 15 minutes earlier, let the ferrets out, and start your day.
That 15 minutes gives you the extra time needed to let the little ones out
and put them back before you leave.  What better way to start your day than
with laughter as you watch the ferrets clown around?  Come on folks, it's
only 15 minutes.  You'll have plenty of time to sleep when you retire.

Evenings - Let the ferrets out either when you get home or a bit later in
the evening when things calm down.  Either way will work but the evening
time will probably be the longest time out for them in most homes.  Some
people put their ferrets up when they go to sleep.  If you leave them out
they'll wake up later and play some more so you may want to leave them
out as long as possible.  Our group runs free in the house and they love
it when I vacuum or steam clean or mop or sweep.  They have a ball facing
off with the vacuum cleaner and when they get in my way when I'm sweeping
I just sweep them along.  I'm cautious with the vacuum cleaner though
because it has quite a bit of suction so I spend quite a bit of time
vacuuming backwards instead of forward.

If you don't have a ferret proof house, how about a room or two that can
be made ferret safe so they have the out of cage time?  Be sure to include
tubes and boxes and toys that they can safely play in.  Mine love it when
we get packages.  They claim the boxes right away.  And of course yourself
for a time too.

In my opinion (and that's all it is), if the home is a good, loving,
responsible, caring one, it is in the best interest of the ferret to stay
in the home if at all possible, but if the ferrets are being neglected
because the people don't want to deal with them any more, then they need
to find a better home.

There are certain circumstances where finding a home is in the best
interest of the little ones, but in other cases it might just take a bit
of juggling on your part to make it work.

Hugs to all. tle