Date:
Wed, 25 Aug 1999 09:53:08 -0400
Well, I've seen the picture in Modern Ferret, and it's a little gory for
my taste.  That's okay, though - I don't like Stephen King novels or
horror/slasher movies, either.  I can't say I wasn't warned; lots of people
have written about this issue here, and it also indicated right on the
cover that the contents might be "offensive".  I chose to look, anyway.
(Hey, Mary and Eric ..  could you perhaps consider doing ferrets in little
Trick or Treat costumes for next year's Halloween issue, though?  Please?)

I have to agree with Eric's point ... I'm always amazed at the fuss I see
about some of the pictures in Modern Ferret.  First, there was the fuss
about the ferret/rabbit picture.  This surprised me; I had a rabbit who
lived peacably with ferrets for nine and a half years, and I have TONS of
pictures of them together.  Simply putting a rabbit and a ferret together
in a picture doesn't imply abuse of either animal, as far as I'm concerned.

Then there was the fuss about the Tiffany Taylor article.  Considering that
she was fully clothed, and that there weren't really any overt references
to sexuality or nudity, I fail to see what the fuss was about.  She seems
to be a lovely person, she's working her way through college, and she's
donated her time, autographed copies of magazines and pictures to ferret
shelters, to boot.  I think that's commendable; it doesn't phase me a bit
if she appears nude in some other publication which I would never read,
anyway.

Now, it's the Modern Ferret Halloween issue.  Heck, if you don't like it,
then please *don't* read it.  If you want to get upset about some really
disgusting pictures, go look at that Web site with the pictures of the
concrete bunkers which they dump live animals into in Tennessee .. and then
go call up the people at that "Humane Society" and give them a piece of
your mind.  I think they deserve it.   Real horrors take precedence of over
staged horrors in my book.

- Ela

Ela Heyn
Harborside Mail Stop 3024