Date:
Fri, 21 Oct 2005 11:36:00 -0400
You seem to be under the impression that I sell to stores, and I don't.
You seem to be under the impression that I sell underage ferrets, and I
don't.  The one seen on a website said to be underage at the time of ship
was not, but was held up as an example of "the mean old ferret farms out
to make money." I had the DOB (date of birth) on the cage (along with all
jill and hob and lactation info) and most taken for surgery were 8-12
weeks of age.  A few males went in at 6-7 weeks of age, but not many.

My vets have said that my ferret kits are the largest that they ever do
from any other breeder.  The people buying them had the patience of Job.
That ferret pictured at a shelter had been brought to the shelter by a
man called into service in the guard, and my best guess is that in all
the rush to get going, it was neglected prior to going to the shelter.
He had it for 2 weeks, and if you don't take care of a kit, the growth is
going to not only stop, but they can look even smaller.  The description
even said it came in dehydrated, insinuating I shipped it sickly even
while stating it came in 2 weeks after ship.  He would not have meant for
the kit to suffer, but could even have asked someone else to care for it
for him, we don't know and should not judge.  Our military people are
human, and their lives can get turned upside down very quickly, and I
prefer to believe the best about people, not the worst.  When he ordered
that kit, it was months earlier, and his military service may not have
been a concern at the time, particularly in the guard.  When the shelter
owner contacted me, it was initially friendly, and I responded as best I
could not knowing exactly which kit we were discussing since she told me
the wrong buyer, and it was a shipment to several people in the same
kennel, sharing shipping costs, and they could have chosen a different
one from the kennel than I had intended for that person to receive, I
could not be positive.  So I may have given her some misinformation, but
did not realize the intent of the emails as hostile rather than friendly,
and my only thought at the time was being sure that the kit was being
cared for, and not trying to be concerned with defending myself or
proving anything.  Then the kit was put on her site as an example of
shipping cruelty.

If you go to my site at www.carolinaferrets.net, you do not see underage
ferrets being sold.  A man dropped by 2 days ago and bought a 5 month old
ferret that was recently neutered and not descented (not even pictured).
He bought one from me earlier in the season.  I don't like to see
underage kits in stores any more than you do, or most of the FML readers,
and for the same reasons.  I tell the pet store owner or manager (just
like most of you do), who usually agrees.  Many, many stores do not sell
ferrets now because of people telling them that it is better not to sell
them than to participate in abuse.  But for every store who does not sell
ferrets, their competition will sell more, and they know that.  Some pet
store managers ask to buy my ferrets instead so that they will be older,
but I don't sell to stores so that is not an option for them, but maybe
it should be--there is no perfect solution to a difficult issue
concerning retailers, buyers, breeders and shelters.  I almost never go
into pet stores anymore because I can't stand to see the little ferret
kits in the plastic bins, limp and unresponsive.  But I have no
disagreement with the fact that kits sold in stores and shipped around
are underage.  My letter to the USDA was to point out that the USDA needs
to be aware that loopholes will make enforcement difficult, and make them
aware that I have concerns based on experience that they need to address
prior to passing any new regulations, not afterwards, and so that they
will look at the situation from as many angles as possible to be better
informed and make the best possible decision with the least risk of
loopholes.  Most of the other letters were just "do this" letters, or
copy and paste, and did not seem to address any enforcement concerns.
People ready to jump at me on any slight provocation can twist that.  I
also followed up with a more detailed letter to the USDA, but the comment
on the USDA site was just a quick note.  I could have sent a copy and
paste comment, or just said the same thing as everyone else, but that
would not have been as helpful, I did not feel, as expressing the concern
that they try to take into account how they will enforce any regulations
that they pass.

The insinuation was made that because I prefer the arrangement of a farm,
rather than breeding ferrets in my basement or garage or spare room, that
I was somehow pumping them out.  I definitely prefer a nice building
adapted to fit their needs with tunnel ventilation, misters, etc, and a
triple insulated roof to how some people breed their ferrets.  I am able
to provide them with a lot of space so that after the litter is born,
they can graduate into larger and larger cages, and have room to romp
around on the floor as well.  I can reduce kit mortality to an incredible
low, eliminate the need for c-sections, eliminate cannibalism of kits,
and do not have to sacrifice any kits to breed the angoras, as some
people have suggested.  Cages can be organized and labeled, then moved
around and changed as the ferrets require, and the ferrets do not get
bored, which keeps them healthier and better able to have healthy kits.

Some people think that ferrets need to be indoors all the time, which
may be true about their ferrets, but I work it out to where my ferrets
get fresh air outdoors and some stimulation from the smells and sounds
outdoors, for at least 60 days out of every year (maybe not continuous,
but my goal is 60 days).  It may be in a cage, or it may be in an outdoor
play area with supervision like a daycare, or there may just be a few
underfoot while I do yardwork and jumping in the leaves.  To me, this is
the most humane way to breed ferrets.  Other people have different ideas,
but I am not going to argue about it.  I do not apologize for doing what
I think is in the best interest of producing a healthy kit while at the
same time providing the ferrets with time out of their cages.  This works
for me, and for the ferrets I am committed to caring for.

I do not over breed, nor do I produce any more kits than I can sell
one-to-one each season, or than I have total ferrets altogether since
a lot of the ferrets are boarders, not breeders, and I am a no kill
operation.  The proceeds of the sale of ferret kits has always gone back
to the ferrets themselves to improve their lives in some way, and provide
for their care, and to pay the farm workers who refer to them as their
"kids" and do depend on that income--some of them disabled.  I work at
the farm 18-20 hours a day during the busy season, sleeping there, then
have my own job for my income the remainder of the year, which I do
think is a calling and a ministry, and time that is very important to
me and hopefully in the lives of others.  When the ferrets are not in
production, they are easy to care for and I need to try to take a break
before the next busy season.  I try to balance my life, not juggle it.

Bitterness and condemnation are unhealthy, and there is enough misery in
the world without people with similar interests assuming the worst of
each other.

--kathy jordan,
carolina ferrets