From:
Lynn McIntosh <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 26 Jan 2004 23:51:08 -0800
Hi.  I worked in the field of HIV/AIDS education and training for a
number of years.

Just thought I'd mention that HIV is a virus (human Immunodeficiency
Virus) and AIDS is the disease (Acquired Immunodeficiency Disease) caused
by HIV infection and the resultant breakdown of the immune system, often
after a number of years.  The transmission of the virus is caused by an
exchange of bodily fluids, generally involving sex or the use of "dirty"
needles in IV drug injection, though open cuts or sores involving the
exchange of blood are sometimes a source of transmission.  It is not
transmitted by kissing, i.e., saliva, sitting on toilet seats, or a
variety of other imagined or feared ways.  There is still much stigma and
fear associated with the virus and how and who transmits, unfortunately,
and some chose to attach moral judgements to some of its modes of
transmission, disregarding that a virus could give a rats ass about who
helps it do its thing.  As a matter of fact, the transmission of the HIV
virus via heterosexual sex, and to women, is on the rise, and has been
for some time.  As has already been stated, there has never been a case
of a ferret getting HIV from a human or otherwise.

Lynn