Date:
Sat, 14 May 2005 07:11:23 -0700
I'm sorry Rebecca, or anyone, is having to make this decision.  I'm so
glad the subject is being discussed here though.  One thing I want to
stress is talking with your vet before hand.  It helps so much to know
what your vet is comfortable doing, and why.  It also helps the vet to
know what your wishes are, and what your reaction might be.  I recently
had my 17 year old kitty put to sleep.  She chose a day when her two vets
were out of town.  The vet on duty was new to the clinic, and did not
know the cat, or me.  It was harder on all of us as I had to make my
wishes known, (hold her and be present for the entire time).  She did
not know how I might react and seemed uneasy.  When I explained I had
been down this road a few times, would not become overly upset, and knew
what to expect, she was more at ease.  My vets would have known all this,
and that day would have been easier on all.  I also want to say how
grateful I am to have great, caring vets.  I wish the same for everyone.

Ardith