From:
Chere McCoy <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 5 Oct 1995 20:18:13 -0400
As you are all aware Hurrican Opal made landfall on Wednesday October 4,
1995

We have begun to receive damage reports so I will give you what we have
thus far.

Florida Shelters that have reported report no damage.
Our Alabama shelter reported that they lost their fence and a tree hit the
shelter but otherwise they are undamaged (See note later*)
We are still awaiting reports from the Georgia, Tennesse, South and North
Carolina.

As for damage thus far the following counties in Florida have major
destruction:  Bay County, Santa Rosa County, and Okaloosa County.  We have
been unable as of this time to reach shelters in those areas.

We have had a report from the West Volusia Humane Society (they are far from
where the Hurricane hit and are not effected) that they have viewed news
footage of People in the above listed counties sitting outside of the Red
Cross Shelters.  These people are in their cars and staying in their cars
because they have their animals with them and the animals were and are not
allowed in the shelter.  These are people who evacuated and took their
animals with them.

Further reports indicate that 250 home are totally GONE and that over 1000
homes have been so damaged that they are no longer habitable in the above
listed counties.

We hope that by Friday morning we will have more information.  We have
contacted NOHO (Network of Himane Organizations of Florida) and as soon as
we have solid numbers the NOHO will begin to respond.  We are awaiting a
call from UAW (United Animal Nations) who are at this time in the Disaster
area.

*Regarding the Gulf coast Ferret Rescue - they are O.K. but expecting to
receive animals in (because the parents of the animals no longer have homes
to house them in).  We will keep you updated as to their status.

If anyone on the FML could please be so kind as to give me the Keyword for
the Dog and Cat and Horse pethost I would be thrilled as I need to get talk
with them about the current situation and what they can do to assist.  Or
they can reach me at AGEDOG.AOL.COM   [[log in to unmask]  BIG]

We are sorry that we cannot give you more information at this time but there
is such extensive damage that the power outages,  downed phone and satellite
links we can only give you information as it comes in.

AGAIN IF YOUR SHELTER OR A SHELTER THAT YOU ARE FAMILIAR WITH HAS BEEN STRUCK
BY THIS HURRICANE - PLEASE CALL US AND LET US KNOW THE STATUS.     OUR PHONE
NUMBER

                             407-567-0994

Chere McCoy
Ferret Friends Disaster Response International