From:
Robert Dejournett <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 20 Jul 1998 09:21:09 -0500
Re:  Ferrets legal in hawaii?

Answer: No, unfortunately.  I don't see this situation changing any time in
the future, either.  I used to live there, was born and raised.  Last year
i went there for a full year, and had to give up my fuzzies to my mother,
who was good enough to take them in for a full year.  The Hawaii mentality,
mostly by the govt agencies, ie G&F, Dept.  Agriculture, is that *any*
exotic is very detremental to the health of the fragile ecosystem there.
In addition, they already had a big problem with moogoose, which is a close
relative of the ferret (both in weasel family), to make a long story short,
they introduced these moogoose to eat snakes, which have infested guam and
have created problems there.  They then discovered that the moogoose was
nocturnal, while the snakes are diurnal.  (hope i got this story straight,
but anyways, the point is, because the ferret is so simliar to the mongoose,
and because they screwed up on that one already (major embarrasment to
them), i don't see this situation changing any time in the next 50 years or
so.  Sorry for all of us who love that state.  :(

-Rob

   Robert Dejournett             [log in to unmask]
   Graduate Student
   Graduate School of Biomedical Science
   University of Texas Houston