From:
Ellie Beerendonk <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 3 Dec 1998 10:14:35 +0100
Hi

I live in the Netherlands which is a part of Europe and I can assure you
that it is never dark here.  As far as I know we have the most dense
populated country in the world, and also they are putting lights at our
highways so there in no darkness anywere.  And as far as I know, we also
keep our fuzzies as beloved pets and as all beloved pets they are kept in
the house.

I know however of a theory why we don't have as many adrenal problems as
you seem to have.  Here in the Netherlands we don't neuter ferrets before
they are at least 6 month's of age and sometimes even older when they show
no signs of sexual activity.  In the States fuzzies are a lot of times
neutered at an very early age.  That can be an explanation for the problem
and also your ferrets are bigger.  Maybe they just have developed different
like when animals live on an island and look different from the ones on the
mainland.  It could be that the genepool was a very small one to begin with
and the gen for the disease was there in one of the ferrets.

When I read about MF ferrets I have a feeling those farms are to enormous,
so it is impossible for them to sort out relatives.  Also the fact that
they are shipped at a to young age, imo a ferret baby should at least be
8 weeks old not 5 or 6, could have something to do with it.

Not that we have no bad breeders, unfortunately we do, but they are not so
big.  And no I did not imply MF is bad.  I am sorry it sounded like that.
But they should keep their babies a bit longer and have a bit less profit.

I just realize that in my country descenting is not often done.  Maybe that
has something to do with it to?

Bey Ellie and her faboulous 4