From:
zoosferretsanctuary <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 31 Jul 2006 09:47:00 -0500
This is an excellent way to reach youngsters and their parents.  We did
our first library presentation last year, in July, 2005!

We have a wonderful kids program here at the Kirkland library, every
summer.  Each week, there is a guest speaker to educate the children
on a different topic.  WE were invited to come talk about ferrets!

Some of the parents went to the librarian and discussed their concern
about Zoo`s Ferret Sanctuary coming to educate the kids on ferrets.
They were worried it might be a sales pitch, or an attempt to convince
their children what a great pet a ferret would be.  They didn`t want
their kids asking for, or coming home with a ferret!!!

Judy (the librarian) laughed, and said "Oh no!!!  Cathy Strobach does her
best to talk people OUT of getting a ferret!!  She will talk about how
much WORK it is!!  She will invite them to come visit her sanctuary &
volunteer to clean LITTER boxes!!" She invited the parents to attend, as
well.

Eighteen kids, and many of their parents came to our presentation.They
drank in the facts we shared---everything from the dangers of ingesting
cute little latex toys, to proper diet, to how to tell if it`s a boy or
girl--and how old it may be.  We talked about how overbathing can make
ferret odor worse!!  There were many facts crammed into that one
hour--and lots of laughter---but then I made a couple of them cry...
Something two parents came up & thanked me for, later.

I asked the kids how they would feel if one day they were driving down
the road with their mom, and she said "Know WHAT??  I`m TIRED of cooking
your meals.  I`m TIRED of doing your laundry.  (etc etc.) "I think I`ll
just pull over & kick you out of the CAR!!!!!" We discussed the words
"commitment" & "responsibility." I told them that pets teach us some of
life`s most important lessons---whether it is a dog, or a cat, or a
ferret.  That they should research ANY prospective pet carefully---then
love their pet for life.  (You don`t dump someone, or something, just
because you`re tired of it.)

Marjorie ferret was kissing my cheek, as I was talking.  I then shared
with the audience that she had been found in an outdoor toilet--and
brought to us.....I showed pictures of some of our terminal babies,
dumped just because they were old, or sick.  We talked about hospicing.
After more discussion on commitment & responsibility, all were given a
book about ferrets, & were allowed to pet Marjorie & ask questions.  All
were invited to come visit the sanctuary.

Maybe something we said will save a little life someday--or make a
positive difference, somehow.  We can only hope.....

Love, Zoo