From:
Gail Elsey <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 2 Jun 2003 20:46:56 -0400
I went to the zoo/park/cages for the ferret that was mentioned
being there.  I talked to the guy who feeds them, but, as only a
minion/underling of cruelness, nothing can be done until the boss gets
back from upstate New York.  I left my card and will be going back
tomorrow with supplies and toys.

1. The ferrets do have a shade/inner hutch for protection for the
   weather.

2. The ferrets appear healthy, if a bit thin and needing nail trims and
   ears done

3. The ferrets are EXTREMELY sweet and gentle.  I got kisses on my arms
   as soon as I reached down

4. The ferrets are being fed dog food

5. There are no toys or hide boxes.  The bedding is straw.

Now, as far as I know, this could be similar to many outdoor cages in
Britain.  However, the ferrets are being treated like birds or lizards,
as their only type of cage decoration were thin branches.  They do not
get out and have no play time.  The hutch itself is about 4 x 5 feet, 2
feet high or so.  All wire but the wooden back.  I am bringing food, nail
clippers, ear swaps, some toys, and some sleep sacks for tomorrow.  The
cage was clean, but with a wire bottom, you know where the poop goes!
They need attention and interaction more than anything.  We hope to be
nice and work with the park to get them out.  However, we don't see this
happening as they are "not sick."  We will go through their management
first before we go above their control.  Wish us luck!

Gail
http://www.scalesandtails.org
"Help the Helpless"